Monday, September 17, 2012

Bye Bye Goddard

Change is never easy, but in some cases it can be flat out heartbreaking. 

Earlier today I had to announce at daycare that after more than 7 years of our kids going there, Friday September 28th will be Bella's last day. I dreaded that moment ever since it became clear that doing so was the best for us, and I can honestly say that it took everything in me not to cry. I was close, very close, but I spoke slowly, giving myself plenty of time to breath. I was grateful that the Director was very kind but didn't extend her hand to me, nor did she give me a hug. Had she done so, I would have totally broken down and sobbed.

I have such strong emotions about it because that daycare is like my kid's home away from home. They saw Sofia go from a 3 month old baby to a 5 year old little girl before she moved on. And they have seen Bella go from that happy and chubby little baby, to an almost 4 year old full of personality, charm, and love for all her little friends and teachers, such as Mr. Mike. 

When I also broke the news to Bella's current teacher she said that Bella will be missed by all, but that she was not looking forward to telling Mr. Mike because he simply adores her.   That I knew, and I also knew that poor Bella will also be missing him - at least for a little while.

As of Oct 1 Bella will be going to a new school called "All about kids". It is only a few streets over - actually closer to home - but location is not what forced us to make this decision. The decision was really based on the fact that the new school offers transportation before and after school, something that right now is essential for us.  And I know it is also a good school, a safe place for my little girl, even though part of me can't get over the fact that "it is nice, but it is not the Goddard school". 

The truth is that the transition is probably going to be more difficult on Lionel and me - especially me. But Bella is so adaptable that she will probably be fine in just a matter of days. Still, it makes me extremely sad to leave our Goddard days behind. They have been very good to all of us, and places like that are simply hard to find.

No comments:

Post a Comment