Sunday, June 23, 2013

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree

"The apple doesn't fall far from the tree" is the English equivalent of the Spanish phrase "Hijo de tigre, pintito". I know this holds true quite often, and couple days ago I found myself falling quite close to the tree myself.

When I was growing up, Gabi and I knew that we should never call my dad at work unless it was an absolute emergency. He NEVER skipped work, his worth ethic was impeccable, and he just worked too hard. Asking him to skip work for a school event, or for some other routine situation, was just out of the question.

Couple days ago my mom emailed my sister and I to let us know that they needed one of us to take my Dad to an important doctor appointment next Tuesday, during the day. Given that my calendar tends to be full of meetings, my initial reaction was "That sucks. I have all these meetings that I can't cancel. I can't let people down. It is irresponsible, and they are counting on me". So I responded that no way I could take the day off, and that hopefully she and my sister could manage the visit themselves. But shortly after I replied, it hit me that I was doing EXACTLY what my dad would have done back then ... Except that I don't think he would have been proud of that. I think that after many years - and may difficult life lessons - he finally realized that working hard and keeping your commitments is important, but family must come first! So I revisited my answer and told my mom and my sister that if they need me there, I will do what it takes.

So I may have fallen close to the tree, but had a chance of heart, and managed to roll away.

No comments:

Post a Comment