Friday, November 25, 2011

Sofia gets a C

Early this week I got Sofia's latest report card. She always gets a mix of As and Bs, but this time around she got one C. Since the C was in music, my first [sarcastic] thought was: Well, I guess she is not going to make me rich. The teacher's comment simply was: "She has to participate more".

Since a C is not quite acceptable in my book I felt it was necessary to talk to her about it. She was very sad when I told her, started crying, and kept telling me how she did participate and did everything the teacher asked. "I don't like Cs", she also said. At that point I was more concerned with making her feel better so I told her: "Well, we can't always get an A". As soon as the words came out of my mouth I thought to myself: This is going to bite me in the butt one day.

Once she finally calmed down I just reminded her one more time that it is important to practice if we want to get better at something. She said she would, and we left it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment