Tuesday, July 21, 2015

DR - Day 2 - Making it to Summer Camp

Jul 20,

Today was the first day of camp for the kids, which made for an interesting morning. Sofia basically slept for 12 hours, but in the morning insisted that her stomach was still hurting. I knew that the ache was not ready food related, but rather a sign of her being nervous (or anxious shall I say) about experiencing something new. So I talked to her about it and continued to encourage her to think about all the positives, Vs getting bugged down by the negatives. Letting her stay home was not an option, because I knew that the only way to get rid of the anticipation was to just get it over with. Bella was ok getting ready, although she barely ate. 

When we arrived at the camp we discovered that Bella and Cristina were not in the same group, and that is when hell broke lose for her. Thankfully by then Sofia had calmed down a bit, and agreed to go meet her group while I dropped Bella off with hers. It took a good 15 minutes of Bella crying and holding my leg, but in between her leader and the little girls in her group they Convinced her to stay. One of the little girls named Ximena reassured her that she could speak English too, and would be happy to speak it with her. 

By the time I went to meet Sofia I found her crying again. Because it took me so long to drop Bella off, she thought I had already left. The kids in her group were doing Zumba, which really consisted of them playing good music and showing the kids some moves. Sofia had no interest in participating, but I very much wish she had as it would have really helped get rid of the anxious feeling. I really don't think it is possible to dance to music like that and still be tense.

When Zumba was over the kids were going to go to another area of the club, so Sofia understood it was time for me to leave. By then the group leaders had introduced her to another girl that was also from the US, so that kind of helped.

While the kids were at camp Sandra and I went to the rental car company, because they were supposed to give us another car, and  went grocery shopping. By the time we came back to her house to drop the food off, and had something quick to eat, it was time to go get the kids. Luckily this time around we found happy faces, excited to tell us about their day. They even talked about something fun they have planned for Wednesday, which was a great sign of them wanting to go back.





No comments:

Post a Comment