Monday, December 25, 2023

Peaks and Valleys

Dec 25,

While having dinner a couple of days ago Bella asked all of us what was our Peak and Valley of the year. I cringed, because I knew - or could guess with a high degree of certainty - what the girls were going to say. Sure enough, their valley (or lowest point) was the move to Boston. Sigh. Bella's peak was her last semester (when she was still at Walnut Hills), and Sofia's peak was meeting her friend Caroline. And may I mention that if we had not moved to Boston, maybe she would not have met her? But I guess it  does not matter because right now the girls are refusing (or unable) to see anything positive about it.

Lionel's peak was getting back to work, and both of our valleys were the girls not being Ok. As for me, my peak was finally being able to have an experience outside of Cincinnati, which sadly is also a big downer as it was the main cause for a lot of the girl's unhappiness. Not the only one, in my opinion, as much as they may want to see it that way right now.

The reality is that choosing a single peak, or a single valley, is mission impossible. I can think of many peaks and valleys along the way. Every single one of them painful or happy in their own little way. But I can sit here thinking about the valleys, and how miserable they made me, or think about the peaks and remind myself that even though this year has been tough in a few different ways, I CHOOSE to keep my head up. Because we always have a choice. And I choose to believe it will get better - if you are willing to have faith and work for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment