Sunday, July 11, 2010

Sweet Dreams

Tonight I held Bella in my arms for a while before she finally went down. I needed to get other things done, but I enjoyed staying with her instead. I know I say this often, but she is growing so, so fast. She is now such a busy toddler that sometimes it's hard to get her to slow down and give you a real hug.

I don't know why she could not settle down. We had gone through the routine just like every other night. After potty and tooth brushing time, we all sat in Sofia's bed, and gave Bella good night hugs and kisses. Lionel then took her to bed. But a few minutes later she started crying and calling out for me. I was still in Sofia's room. I waited a few minutes to see if she calmed down, but she never did. So I went and picked her up, and we both sat down on the blue rocking chair. She had her soft pink "blankie" with her. She put her head on my shoulder and held me tight, and I could feel her little body's warmth against mine.

We sat on the chair for a few minutes. Occasionally she looked up and smiled at me. And I would look her in the eyes and smile right back at her. She is now too big to sleep on my arms, so I knew I had to put her back in bed. Eventually I got up and stood by the crib a few extra minutes, whispering in her ear that it was time to go "night night". I really did not want to let go of her, but hoped she couldn't tell. I finally put her back in bed, wrapped in her little blankie, and quietly walked away.

Now its time for me to also go to bed, but not before doing what I do every single night: Stopping by Sofia's room to watch her sleep and, with a kiss, say good night one last time to my other special girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment