Saturday, October 9, 2010

The Carnival

Today it was carnival day for Sofia's new school. The weather was beautiful, sunny and in the 80's, definitely a luxury considering this is the second weekend of October already.

We started by participating in the Hike, Bike, Run race, which was one of the fundraiser activities of the day. The goal was to walk the 5 mile bike path at Lunken airport, where the carnival took place. Sofia did a great job running most of the time we were out there, and even Bella walked for a little while Vs staying in the stroller the entire time. We saw plenty of worms on the road, and couple planes take off and land. It was a good walk, even though we only made it to the 1 mile marker before we decided to turn around and head back. The original goal may have been to walk the entire path, but an even more important goal was to grab some lunch and avoid a meltdown. Both girls got their medals anyway. After all, the important part was to participate.

Once at the carnival we grabbed lunch and said hi to the neighbors and some of Sofia's new friends. I then went to volunteer for one of the games. The game was as simple as it gets, but the little ones really seemed to like it, and I got plenty of traffic the couple hours I was there. The best part was my little special helper. Sofia wanted to spend time with me, so she stuck around helping me explain the purpose of the game to the other kids, and even collecting the tickets from them. If you know Sofia, you know this was a real stretch for her, as she is usually very shy in new situations and likes to keep to herself.

In the meantime, Lionel and Bella went back home so she could take a nap. After I was done volunteering, Sofia and I walked around and waited in line for a while to get her face painted. When it was almost her turn she announced she needed to use the bathroom. I asked if she could wait a few minutes, because otherwise we would miss her turn and would have to wait all over again. She said she could, so we stayed for a few more minutes until it was her turn. Luckily she chose something easy, a lady bug in one cheek, and a heart in the other one. After that I had the terrible realization that the only bathroom there was one of those portable toilets, but she seemed so desperate at that point that we just had to go in there. I had never been in one of those before, but I can say that was the most disgusting experience I have ever had. And I certainly hope I never have to go in there again.

After our toilet experience we ran to the stroller to get some serious hand sanitizer, and continued making the rounds by the games, the bounce houses, and the silly band stand. We also saw Samantha, Sofia's good friend, and her little sister. Eventually Bella and Lionel came back, and we hung out for a little longer, until the Carnival started wrapping up. When it was all said and done we basically spent six hours there. So yes, it was a very long day, but in my book it was a really good one as well. The weather was perfect, Sofia got out of her shell a little bit, I managed to contribute something to her new school, and most importantly, we all spent time together without worrying about anything else.

Volunteering at the "Farm animals" game


Me and the girls

Face painted and still wearing her medal

No comments:

Post a Comment