Thursday, December 23, 2010

Navidad, Navidad, Blanca Navidad

Christmas must be, by far, the season that makes me miss México the most. 

I miss the smell and taste of "Ponche", with all its sweet fruits, the chunks of cinnamon, the warmth of it on a cold December day. 

I miss the sight of all that colorful Christmas candy. Rows after rows, sold in bulk at so many markets, at so many stores.

I miss seeing all those little houses, animals, and other figurines you could buy to make your own nativity at home, especially "El Niño Jesús".

I miss seeing that big Christmas tree in my hometown that was made entirely out of poinsettias. It looked so beautiful against those cold, yet bright and sunny December days.

I miss the TV commercials, depicting "Posadas" and big family gatherings where everybody, maybe thanks to the adult drinks the add was selling, seemed to really get along.

I miss "Sidra", Gabi's Christmas beverage of choice.

I miss things that I probably don’t explicitly remember anymore, can't describe, or even put my finger on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment