Sunday, December 26, 2010

Who are you?

Growing up I always saw having a big close knit family as a gift I never received.

When I was in high school my best friend always had big parties at her place, whether it was a birthday, a wedding, Christmas, or any other family event. She had so many aunts, uncles, and cousins, that even if not everybody showed up it was bound to be a big affair.

I think the reason I wanted a big family was to feel that I belonged to something larger. That there were more people who cared about me and who, by default, would always come see me for special occasions. And mainly, that no matter the time or the distance, we would forever be linked.

But in reality, my family was always my mom, my dad, my sister, and I. Yes, I did have aunts, uncles, and cousins, but I never really saw them, so it is safe to say that they did not really count.

Earlier this month I learned that one of my long lost cousins, who I hadn't seen since he was about four years old, was temporarily living in NY. I also learned he was kind of bummed because he was going to spend the holidays alone. So following the Christmas spirit I, along with my mom, extended him an invitation to visit and spend a few days with us. I was happy to do something nice for someone, and somewhat excited to meet him after all this time.

He did indeed come couple days ago. But as his story unfolds, and I learn about his lack of stability and the fact that he's had a life so different than mine, I can't help but wonder if this is just a social visit or he has an agenda that we have yet to learn about.

No comments:

Post a Comment