Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Day 79 - Chenonceau

Yesterday we celebrated our wedding anniversary in style, as we visited 2 castles in the Loire valley. I was particularly looking forward to Chenonceau, as I read about its beautiful gardens - which didn't disappoint. From the time we got there we were welcomed by tree-lined road, and the "green theme" continued with a maze, a huge grass area leading to the castle, the gardens, and a working farm. The inside of the castle was pretty nice as well, but I think my favorite place was an unusual choice: The kitchen. I don't remember being able to visit a kitchen in a castle before, so it was pretty interesting.

During the 1st world war the castle was transformed into a hospital, with its transformation financed by the private owners back then: The Menier family, owners of a chocolate factory. I thought that was pretty nice of them. Probably not many people (now or then) would do the same.



















No comments:

Post a Comment