Monday, May 3, 2010

Se habla Spanglish


Mo! Mo! … Ma! Ma! Maaaa!!!!”. That is my 18 month old’s version of “More” and “Mas”.
Mami, espera por mi”. That is my 5 year old’s version of “Mami, esperame”, or “Mami, wait for me”.
And let’s not forget about Sofia’s “vamos a jugar una last time”.

Yes, "Spanglish" is quite common in our household. My husband and I get a real kick out of it. After all, it could be worse; they could speak no Spanish at all. And I have always been determined to teach my kids Spanish. It is simply part of who I am, and 50% of who they are.
Sometimes it saddens me that they will never get to experience some of the things I experienced when I was a kid: No "dia de reyes". No "dia del niño" celebration at school. No "desfiles". No "bailables". No "kermeses". Granted, some of these were painful, such as the "bailables", if only because invariably you never got to dance with the person you really wanted to dance with. The "desfiles" (parades) were for sure not a personal favorite of mine. But all those things really helped create a bond among friends. Nothing like everybody complaining about the same thing I guess.
No. My kids will probably never get to experience that. But I know they will get to experience things I never did. So instead they'll have prom, and homecoming dances, and church festivals, and all those things that will be as special to them as my memories are to me.
And hopefully, in one way or another, they will let me come along for the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment